Friday, April 7, 2017

Period 1 - Due Friday, April 7 - A Visit with the Librarian

Recently, you had the opportunity to visit with your campus librarian and learn about a number of factors surrounding her job:
  • Her education background
  • The journey that brought her to the position as librarian
  • The tasks she has to do on a regular and irregular basis
  • The personal characteristics needed to be successful as a librarian
  • How she serves students, faculty and staff, and the community
  • The skills necessary to be a successful librarian
  • The rewards of being a librarian
After discussing the class guidelines for making comments and compliments on a blog, add a compliment/comment sandwich as a comment to this blog.  Try to keep it to one or two sentences.  It may be a compound sentence, but do not turn it into a run-on sentence.   Be sure the comment portion remarks on something you learned in the interview conducted with the librarian.  You will need to use her name in your remark.



Example:  I love the comfortable sofas for reading in the library, and I was surprised that Mrs.  ___________ has to ______________ as part of her duties as a librarian.

Example:  Mrs. __________ is so friendly, but I was shocked when she told us that _____________ are hardly every used in the library.

Example:  Way to go, Mrs. ______________!  You have improved the library by (describe improvement).

Example:  I agree with ____________.  You work very hard, as evidenced by the (describe task) you have to do every year.

Note:  This is a daily grade in which you must use proper writing conventions: spelling, capitalization, punctuation, grammar, sentence construction.




23 comments:

  1. Ashley Henderson -
    Mrs. Caruthers is the best! She is so kind and willing to help everyone who walks into the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Ransdell
    Ms. Magana was so very interesting and had so much to tell, but I was really surprised that she rarely uses cataloging (which is a class she took in college).

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Mary Nelson) I really loved the "Readbox" bookshelf that Mrs. Caruthers had set up in the library that allows us to check out the newer books in the library. I was really surprised that libraries actually have to get rid of certain outdated books in their inventory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney Brown- I really love the way your project looks, but I would have just added a little more color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney, create a comment/compliment sandwich for your trip to the library.

      Delete
  5. (Kaelli Cox) I loved meeting Mrs. Magana, she was really nice and friendly. She loves matching a student with a book, and she also loves making innovations to improve the school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caitlyn Lytle: Mrs. Magana is super nice, and I was surprised that she was a police office before she was even a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caitlin Hoffman: Our librarian makes the library feel so welcoming! I wonder how much librarians make in comparison to teachers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kaelyn Jordan - I fell in love with the room filled with audiobooks and crafting supplies, in the back of the library, behind the front desk, and I was surprised to discover that only the teachers and a few students were aware of it's existance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, my name is Sarah Young. I really liked how Mrs. Wai was so excited for us to come and visit her. It was so much fun seeing her joy in answering all of our questions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (Zintia) You worked hard, you help every body.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Madison Artist-
    Even though I wasn't at school yesterday, Ms. Magana is an excellent librarian and she makes the library fun whenever I visit. I was wondering where out Maker Space is though. I've seen the 3D printer but not much else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  12. Alaina Chauvin- I really like how outgoing Mrs. Magana was. I really liked how busy my librarian is, but I was surprised that she did a lot of things outside of the library. I wonder how much time you spend working at the library and outside of the library.

    ReplyDelete
  13. (Rosa Alvarado) I agree with Mrs. Caruthers with supporting the teachers, but don't you think that with the maker spaces you would support them even more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosy, thank you for your question. Maker spaces, for the most part, are for the students. I hope in the future to be able to tie in some maker activities to classroom curriculum. That would offer support to students and teachers alike.

      Delete
  14. Wow Mrs. Caruthers! I feel that you made a big improvement to the library, and i love it but I wonder if you are going to have the macer spaces like the other schools? (Brian Thomas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, thank you for your question about maker spaces. A maker space is in the works for the HHS Library next year. The other high school librarians applied for and were awarded grants to begin their maker spaces. The space at HHS will be more craft oriented rather than tech oriented. Look for Maker Mondays in the HHS Library next year.

      Delete
  15. Zintia- I really like that you love to help everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jessica Mendez - Mrs Wai is so kind and friendly but I was shocked when she told us all of the things she has to keep up with such as budgeting and ordering laptops and books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mrs. Wai is friendly but I was shocked when she said she was a music major before getting her degree in education.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mrs. Wai was very kind and thorough with how she taught us, but i was shocked how she went to college to study music!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Priscilla Valles, Mrs. Wai is a very kind person i enjoy going into the library and having a small conversation with her but i am upset that i didn't get to see her last Thursday. I would like to go and learn more about what she does as a librarian.

    ReplyDelete